Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Collage Paintings




Here are a few pieces I have been working on post-Rupert Workshop. There are about half a dozen more in progress, and I work on them all at the same time, which is probably evident from the similar color scheme and compositional elements. My process begins with a painted or collage "start" - random painting, collaging, building up pattern and texture. Then I proceed to add layers of paint and collage, obscuring much of what came before, but adding new elements. Often a piece will change course dramatically several times over in the course of its journey towards completion. Completing a piece in any one work session is never the object. I find that if I keep focused on the process, pieces have a way of resolving themselves, or not, in their own time.

Art Unraveled proposals for workshops are due next week, and I'm proposing a workshop that focuses on this process of layering paint and collage. Of course, I'll include other tried-and-true workshops in my proposal as well. I'll keep you posted on that.

I think I'll try another color scheme for the next group. I love this quinacridone gold and turquuoise thing, but I should probably challenge myself in the color department. Any suggestions? I love your comments!!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these Jane...I've bought your book on "Collage Journeys" and my love for collage had grown...cheers! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are BEAUTIFUL, as is all of your work, your books ... and you! I LOVE the colors within these pieces ... but I'm a big fan of golden tones with turquoise and red. Keep going! Can't wait to hear more about the workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely LOVING your book, Collage Journeys!!!! I love curling up with it and getting all inspired. Layers, layers...love.♥ I plan on doing more playing around with collage...thank you. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since these colors are my favorites too, can't say anything but wow.
    I feel like I am walking into some lush landscapes with these pieces and I want to go deeper. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane.. love these, big time. Oh yes, turquoise and gold...how can you go wrong.. I am a turquoise freak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jane,
    I love to see how your work develops. And I especially love to see some paper that I gave you show up in your collage! (Last image - gold with rectangles) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!