Thursday, January 22, 2009

Texture




Tonight at my Collage Journeys workshop we are going to explore texture using lightweight papers, gesso, matte medium, and paint. Texture in collage can be bold, three dimensional, in-you-face - think corrugated, wire mesh, objects glued to the surface. But it can also be subtle. Simple brushstrokes of matte medium, or layering of lightweight papers creates texture that you can emphasize by rubbing india ink or paint into the surface and then wiping it with a damp paper towel. Another way to emphasize subtle texture is to drybrush paint over the topmost surfaces, leaving the crevices unpainted. Here are a few examples of texture studies.

1 comment:

  1. Simply beautiful - and just the sort of effect I am looking for. Thankyou for sharing. Ann (from UK)

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!